PUBLISHED 04 July 2023
For the last 4 seasons our cricketers have taken part in a structured winter programme comprising targeted specialist training sessions and competing in County Indoor Cricket Competitions. Our players participated in training sessions which focused on developing fundamental techniques in the skills of cricket, whilst instilling a mindset of playing positive cricket at all times. Individuals are challenged at a level appropriate to their stage of development with focused training activities.
In the Summer, our cricketers moved outdoors, playing a very strong fixture list of Saturday blocks and midweek games, with opponents including the MCC, Sedbergh, Lancaster Royal Grammar School and Queen Ethelbergas College in York as well as hosting the National Twenty20 Cup, Lancashire Cup and Wyre & Fylde Cup competitions.
AKS Cricket has gone from strength to strength, with our hardball teams showing excellent development and some extremely pleasing results.
Some of our highlights included:
- Our girls' teams progressing to the Regional Finals
- Our girls' teams progressing to regular hardball fixtures and several taking up cricket at local clubs
- AKS leading the way on girls' cricket by hosting the first-ever girls' Wyre & Fylde Cricket Cups
- Sweeping the boys Wyre & Fylde Cups across the year levels for 2 years running and multiple teams making strong progression in the Lancashire Cup
- Rory U being selected to represent Lancashire County U15 for 2023. Following years of development in the lower years at AKS and St Annes Cricket Club, Rory debuted for Lancashire and took several wickets in his first match. Rory, a member of our senior cricket team whilst still in Y10, has used his development opportunities to great effect and has taken this opportunity with both hands. We are very proud of Rory
- Alex U & Rory U debuted in St Annes Cricket Club 1st XI in the Northern Premier League
- 8 AKS Cricketers being selected to play Interleague representative cricket: Evie F, Alfie K, Freddie B, Felix T, Finn R, Xavier D, Rory U and Rupert W
Some other highlights from the Senior Cricket programme:
- Senior cricket has played a full season for the first time in recent memory
- Senior boys and girls played side by side hard ball cricket, as equals
- 6 Y10s and 2 Y9s debuted for the senior team
- Evie F, along with playing cup cricket in the boys' teams, became the first girl to represent the senior boys' team in over 20 years
- Max K took 3 wickets on debut
- Rory U made 73no off 38 balls v Rossall in the National T20 Cup
- Felix T made 77no off 41 balls v Kirkham in the National T20 Cup
- First ever match under lights at Queen Ethelbergas in York
- AKS hosted the inaugural 3-day Senior Cricket Festival with Kings Chester, Stockport Grammar & Newcastle Under Lyme Grammar School.
The programme has also grown, with AKS fielding even more teams, fixtures and players. In 2023, in 10 short summer weeks, AKS has put out 18 cricket teams, that played 117 fixtures and provided enjoyment for 216 pupils. This growth has been supported by the dedication and support of our amazing cricket coaches and the AKS grounds team who have provided the pitches. We are also indebted to the PTA, who generously funded our new Flicx roll out pitches, which have allowed us to host up to 4 hardball cricket fixtures at any one time and boosting the opportunities for our students.
I am pleased to report that OAK Taylor Cornall has cemented his place opening the batting for Worcestershire County Cricket Club and following his debut last season and has earned a 2 year contract extension. Taylor is a role model for our aspiring cricketers to follow. After graduating from AKS, Taylor attended Leeds MCC University, where he was able to earn his degree whilst continuing to pursue his passion for cricket. Following a hundred against Yorkshire for his University, Taylor earned a full professional contract and has continued to follow his dreams.
I am extremely proud of what we have achieved in 2023 and am excited about what is to come in the future.
We would like to offer our best wishes to Yash & Daniel: AKS First XI Captain Yash P and fellow Year 13 Cricketer Daniel S bowed out in style, with a ground-breaking season of senior cricket. After debuting back in 2021, both boys have been excellent contributors to the development of our senior programme. Yash has been a great all-round player with his steady batting and seam bowling, whilst Dan earned Player of the Year honour in 2022 with his off-spin bowling, hard-hitting batting and athletic fielding. It was fantastic to see their teammates send them off in great fashion with a most enjoyable season in 2023. We wish both boys well in their further pursuits and hope to welcome them back as supporters in the future.
Liam Castellas, Director of Cricket