Delivering the curriculum and more in lockdown
“The lessons have been quite phenomenal in both their content and delivery.” (AKS parent)
Throughout lockdown we have maintained an unwavering focus on continuing to deliver the exceptional education for which we are renowned. We have done this whilst supporting our students’ wellbeing and implementing COVID-secure practices to keep our staff and students safe. We:
- Transitioned immediately to Remote Learning from the first day of lockdown
- Delivered live Skype lessons for all subjects from Reception to Sixth Form
- Ensured all subjects are either on-track, or ahead of the curriculum
- Continued all peripatetic instrumental lessons via Skype
- Implemented co-curricular initiatives to engage beyond lessons in art, design, sport, drama, music and our charitable collaborations, such as with Just Good Friends, Sparkle Malawi and Rotary Club/Village Aid
- Implemented pastoral care initiatives to support well-being. These included the continuation of ‘Vent’, our student support group; form time in senior school; and 1:1 Skype calls available for prep school children with our prep well-being lead
- Prepared current and incoming students for success through our Transition Programmes and support for the following year groups: pre-school, Year 6, Year 11 and Year 13.
- Implemented COVID-secure practices across the school, guided by the expertise from United Learning, our Matron and Health and Safety lead
- Welcomed both Nursery and Prep School back full-time, by opening our doors to bring them back on the first day that government guidelines permitted (1st June for Nursery, Reception, Year 1 and Year 6; 22nd June for Years 2-5)
- Delivered 'Support & Review' sessions on-site for Years 10 and 12 from 15th June
- Delivered a Pre-A-Level programme for Year 11 which extended the school year and support for the year group to better prepare them for Sixth Form
- Launched virtual Careers Talks aimed at Year 9 upwards, open to both AKS and non-AKS students
- Hosted a virtual Summer Concert featuring soloists, duets, ensembles and large choirs – with music learnt, rehearsed and recorded in lockdown
- Ran a virtual whole school Sports Day over four weeks, covering four disciplines (running, throwing, jumping and participation events). Students (and their families) competed for individual events and for the annual House Cup
- Hosted virtual Sports Awards evenings (for both Prep & Senior students), with a specific feature on each of the key sports. These events celebrated excellence and our most improved players for every year group over the year
- Replaced residential trips with 'Residentials At Home', to support subject/personal development and lift spirits
- Initiated a Community Choir comprising students, families, friends & alumni
- Continued our community and charity work support through donating, fundraising, volunteering & collaborating with local & international charities. These included Just Good Friends, Sparkle Malawi and Rotary Club/Village Aid
We look forward to welcoming our students and new starters back on site in September, confident that our model of Remote Learning provides an exceptional alternative in the event of another lockdown.
If you would like to find out more, contact us for Remote Admissions and socially distanced tours.
#AcademicAmbition #IndividualPathways #SuccessAndValue